caps lock

Rene Salmon rsalmon at tulane.edu
Thu Nov 4 22:01:01 UTC 2004

Hi list,

Any one know how to make the Caps_Lock key act as the Control key?

I have the latest Fedora from rawhide kernel 2.6.9-1.667.
I have tried the usual stuff:

- edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with line
Option         "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
*****DID NOT WORK*****

- once X is running and I log I tried using xmodmap with something
like this.
xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock" -e "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" -e "add Control = Control_L"
*****DID NOT WORK*****

- I also tried editing the /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.map.gz file
changed the line

>>keycode  58 = Caps_Lock

>>keycode  58 = Control
*****DID NOT WORK*****

- last I tried using gnome's keyboard map tool.
*****DID NOT WORK*****

I am out of ideas just can't get that damn Caps_Lock key to
behave as a control key.  Any clues.

Thanks
Rene