Fedora on IBM iSeries

fabian.arrotin at ibsbe.be fabian.arrotin at ibsbe.be
Wed Oct 13 07:25:56 UTC 2004

Hi ,

The iSeries box on which i want to install Fedora is a iSeries 810 (Power
4). I've already installed a Redhat 7.1 and a Suse Entreprise 8.0 on this
machine (just for tests) in a LPAR.
How can i launch the Fedora Setup on such box ?
I remember that for the Redhat 7.1, i needed to
- copy the vmlinux file on the IFS (Integrated File System) of the iSeries
- configure the LPAR to boot from a STMF (Stream file) located in the root
of the iSeries file system
- Vary on (power on) the LPAR on the iSeries
- Kernel boots and launch the setup program (from that point, i configured
the LAN and choose to install from an NFS server)

So, do you think i just need for the Fedora to :
- copy the files located here :
http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/fedora/linux/core/development/ppc/ppc/iSeries
on my iSeries
- launch the LPAR like i did in the past for the Redhat 7.1 ?

Other question :

Is the Fedora PPC an official part of the Fedora project (i had a look on
the Fedora main site, but they're talking about Intel/X86-64 only).
And if it the case, can we hope that a real Fedora on iSeries/pSeries (i
meant, other than the Rawhide version) will be released ?

Thanks .

-----Paul Nasrat <pauln at truemesh.com> wrote: -----

I'll try and dig out some docs for you - I've not tried on iSeries but have
installed rawhide on pSeries.

Could you give a bit more detail on what box you'd be installing?

Paul