kernels after 2.6.8-1.533 fubared?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 8 12:17:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 22:07 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 18:04, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> > I've tried a couple of kernels post 2.6.8-1.533 and they all die on
> > switching to the new root as a pile of journal_ symbols are missing
> > from the ext3 module.
>
> .540 should be fine, x86 users have .541 issues
>
> > Just me, or are others seeing this?
>
> My iMac DV is running .541, and I'm happy to report, it all seems to
> "just work". Weird, especially with heaps complaining on
> fedora-test-list at redhat.com

I'm runnig .538, and I have run .541 but reverted due to the scary
reports of ext3 corruption. I suspect the problem is with
module-init-tools -- I was seeing modprobe segfault at one point
recently, and if mkinitrd is using modprobe to list the dependencies of
the ext3.ko module then we could miss jbd.ko out of the initrd.

Rebuild your initrd and check it contains jbd.ko. If not, try an older
(or newer) module-init-tools.

We _really_ ought to be shipping kernels with ext3 support built in.
Shipping it as a module is just gratuitously fragile.

--
dwmw2