Fedora Core 3 works on the Mac Mini

Mike MacCana mmaccana at redhat.com
Sun Feb 6 12:15:19 UTC 2005

(reposted, as I forgot to confirm my list subscription first)

Fedora Core 3 works on the Mac Mini. Went through Colin's instructions
last night and got it installed. X, Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard,
dual booting, DVD playing, etc. all work seamlessly. Thanks for all your
work.

Some questions:
1. Colin, I'm gonna send you a diff of your instructions to contain
stuff for Mini users, as well as clear some things up I found confusing.
Before I finish, though, I have to know: is the boot.iso askmethod
install mandatory for all installs? I did a network install for various
reasons.

2. Wade: installed system-config-soundcard-1.2.10-2wm (thanks for your
work), the soundcard is detected (the tools says it'll use snd_powermac)
but I can't hear anything when the test sound is played (I hear there's
something weird with volume control on the card - maybe that's it?). On
the console, I get
'amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device'
I know this sounds silly, but running strace doesn't seem to show the
device its looking for. Maybe I'm blind.

Mike