Creating a ramdisk for 32bit PPC (using FC3/RHEL4beta2's ramdisk?)

Patrick ppc at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 25 18:31:46 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Accidentally stumbled on this list and immediately subscribed. The last
few weeks there have been some folks trying to get FC3 and RHEL4beta2
PPC to run on RS6000 boxes with 32 bit PPC cpu's like my 43p-150. With
help from the guys on #fedora-ppc I have succeeded in crosscompiling a
CHRP PPC 2.6.9 kernel on my i686 FC3 box with crosstool and actually
netbooted that image on the rs6k. In the end it fails because it can't
mount the root device and that's where my question comes in.

If I dug up the right info, the kernel can be compiled with the ramdisk
included in the image with make zImage.initrd if you put
ramdisk.initrd.gz in arch/ppc/boot/images. This would allow me to
completely netboot the kernel. So I need a ramdisk. Did more digging,
read about making ramdisks and looked at the ramdisk in RHEL4beta2.
Reinventing the wheel seems silly so if possible I would like to reuse
the ramdisk from RHEL4beta2 (or FC3) where possible. But, the modules
included in that ramdisk are 64bit and will never work on my 32bit box.

So my question is if anyone knows how I can get my 32bit 2.6.9 modules
into RHEL4beta2's or another fresh ramdisk. Looking at the files in the
modules directory in the ramdisk of RHEL4beta2:

* pcitable - part of hwdata so keep it?
* pci.ids  - part of hwdata so keep it?
* modules.usbmap - no idea how to generate that. keep it?
* modules.pcimap - no idea how to generate that. keep it?
* modules.dep - how to generate it when the modules are not installed?
* modules.cgz - do I need to follow the dir structure in the archive?
* module-info - part of anaconda-runtime so keep it?

Many thanks for any suggestions or better solutions.

Regards,
Patrick