Failed X server start on Apple eMac FC4 installation

Mike Hammill mike at kth.se
Tue Jul 5 17:24:26 UTC 2005

I have a machine similar to J.M. Brough, a G4 PowerMac with an ATI
Radeon 9200 PCI card in it.

I updated my card's ROM through the software available at ATI so mine
reads (from the Mac OS X partition):

ATI 4.5.1 Radeon 9200
Card#:  109-actually gives numbers here-00
Card Model: ATY, RV280
ROM: ATY, Bugsy_A
FCode version: 1.94
NDRV version: 1.0.1f59
VRAM: 128MB

I installed the Xautoconfig tool from <http://www.bytebot.net/
geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html> as you suggest.  I tried various
options, and got the following results:

with --safe option ==> an X cursor on a black screen.  I can move the
cursor, but I when I right click, I get no menu.  This is the best
I've got so far.  X log at <http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/ppc/Bunny/
Xorg_log_xautoconfig_safe>.  It is not clear to me that this
configuration is usable as is.

with --fbdev option ==> as above, log at <http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/
ppc/Bunny/Xorg_log_xautoconfig_fbdev>

with no options ==> dies with log as shown in <http://www.pdc.kth.se/
~mike/ppc/Bunny/Xorg_log_xautoconfig_noopts>

I brought over a working xorg.conf from Ubuntu running on another G4
with the same card in it.  See <http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/ppc/
Monkey/xorg.conf> and the happy log it produces on Ubuntu <http://
www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/ppc/Monkey/Xorg.0.log>

When I try this xorg.conf under Fedora rawhide, it bombs see log at
<http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/ppc/Bunny/Xorg_log_ubuntu_working>.  A
careful analysis of the working X log on the one machine and the
failing log on the other should give a pretty good hint as to what is
wrong, I suspect.  A simple diff, unfortunately, is a bit messy.  I
haven't had a chance to look through the two logs extensively to get
at what the real differences are.  Perhaps someone with more X
knowledge could give it a whirl?

/Mike