X hangs on FC4 t1 if no network connected on mac mini

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Mon Mar 28 17:25:43 UTC 2005

I have been testing Fedora core 4 test1 on a mac mini for a week or so
and have hit the wall with regard to booting up without a network cable
connected.

eth0 is setup via dhcp

This happens both in runlevel 3 and 5

X starts and vt7 is made active but no applications including the window
manager ever start. I never even see the X curser.

if I connect the cable, and ifup eth0 ( I do this with a cron job ) then
killall X. X will work fine.

no keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I cannot seem to recreate the scenario if I boot with the network on and
then disable eth0 and even modprobe -r the sungem module.

the hostname is in /etc/hosts ( it is not resolvable via dns anyway)

Anyone have a direction where to look?  Can anyone else recreate this
error?

Thanks in advance.

Bret