Mac Mini installation problem

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Tue Mar 29 16:20:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 17:24, dj faké wrote:
> trying to install FC4-PPC on Mac Mini, running into a odd problem -
> can't eject the disc. On a "regular" keyboard, F12 is the eject key,
> except it's mapped to "next" in FC-PPC. Trying to get out of the gui,
> but no luck. Anyone have tips for CD installation?
>
> btw, was able to install FC3-PPC via network, but it took forever and a
> day to install. Never got the audio to work on the Mini.

My experiences on mac mini with fc4 t1 workstation install:

I did a http install so I did not run into the eject problem.
first boot will not run due I think to a package dependency error that
should be fixed in the next release.

I had to manually run system-config-display as a result of first boot
not running.  the radeon 9200 was detected correctly.  I wonder if you
could get to a command prompt Ctl-alt-f? and run eject.  Worth a try
anyway.

audio is a known issue.  I was able to get it to work by compiling a new
kernel with a one line change to and alsa prog pmac.c  if you like I
will dig it up and post it.  I got it from the ubunto list archives.

You will want to run yum upgrade gdm very soon after installation since
there is a bug in the released version that will chew up a bootload of
you cpu once logged in.

I have had an issue with X and networking that I am getting closer to
isolating.  The probelm is that X will not load if the nic is
disconnected.  I was able to get it to work last night by configuring
the display with no network connection immediately after installation I
am going to try to recreate today.

Seems like kernel installs did not add the entry to yaboot.conf but I
need to verify that.  I may be getting it confused with the manual
kernel compile I did.

Bret