Request for Testing of Installer X Configuration on PPC

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 4 06:04:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 06:59 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 09:32 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Well, this is weird. But first of all, why are you disabling Dynamic
> > Clocks ? Isn't this a laptop ? You should disable them most of the time.
>
> I assume you mean "You should _enable_ them most of the time".?

Yup, sorry.

> We're not explicitly disabling Dynamic Clocks. It's just that the
> installer knows nothing of Dynamic Clocks and so doesn't explicitly
> _enable_ them.

Yes, I know, and that should be fixed I suppose ... Note that I've
tested with current X.org CVS HEAD on paulus laptop (5,3 as well) and
disabling them doesn't cause any problem. I'll see if I can find
something, but in the meantime, can you send me a tarball of your
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati ?

> > There are several issues adressed by my patches, I can't say for sure
> > about this one, but you should certainly merge them if you want things
> > like working VGA output etc...
>
> AFAICT this is already fixed in 6.8.2, but the patch which fixes it
> causes other problems and was hence backed out in the RPM -- that's what
> bug #152648 is about.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, and I find bug #152648 more
confusing than anything else anyway.

> http://david.woodhou.se/xorg-x11-6.8.1-ati-radeon-dynamic-clocks-fix-2.patch
> is being applied to our latest xorg-x11 package. If I use a radeon_drv.o
> from a version immediately before that patch was added, the machine no
> longer dies.

That patch looks totally bogus, where does it come from ?

Ben.