Please help me - fedora on MAc G5 running only with Tiger

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue May 10 13:15:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 12:57 -0700, Nikolay Nikolaev wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I have a desire to install fedora to G5, which is brand new and only
> Tiger 10.4 is possible

Which G5 do you mean?  It should work AFAIK.

> to run on it (panther not 10.3 due to new hardware installed there).
> Does any one think that will be possible to install and to work with
> fedora here?

I'd recommend waiting until Fedora Core 4 Test 3 is out later today.

> How to make partiition and how to install.

Boot up the OS X installer

Select the Installer menu from the top menu bar.

Choose Open Disk Utility... from the Installer menu.

Disk Utility will open up, click on the Hard Drive and choose 3
Partitions

create a small (say 100 Mb) partition at the start - choose format "Free
Space"
create an OS X partition = Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
create a large a free partition for linux (enough for / and swap)

Based on the Apple store specs you'll have either 160GB or 250GB so you
can probably split the remaining space after the first free space
partition evenly between OS X and linux.

Install OS X to your OS X partition.  Boot into it and ensure working.

Boot off the mac64 boot.iso on the FC4 test3 CD1/DVD and install Fedora.

Should hopefully get you going.

Paul