Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Sun Feb 5 18:41:35 UTC 2006

 > yum works as long as I use it at runlevel 3 before I run "startx". It
 > was just that it didn't seem to be updating properly. Is there  some
 > way to clear the yum cache and get it to reanalyze what the system
 > needs??

earlier you were saying you were running "yum check-update" which just
lists what "update" would do, I want to make sure you are running "yum
update".

"yum clean all" will clean yums downloaded state of packages headersa
and rpm files, but then you will have to redownload any packages it
already grabbed. the man page has other options, but you might want to
"yum clean all" at least once if you are worried, especially if you have
a relatively fast connection.

however, I will say that "yum clean" doesn't remove any state about what
the system needs, because I think yum just gets that information from
the rpm system underneath.

were you getting an error running yum that would explain why it might
seem to be starting over on every run?

-bri