Test kernel with Broadcom BCM43xx wireless support.

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 01:23:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

* David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> [2005-12-31 07:30]:
> I've built a test kernel with bcm43xx wireless support, from
> http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Thanks!  I updated to rawhide today (yesterday I couldn't boot) and it
appears the the device is visible.

> It seems to work, with WEP, if I set the ESSID manually -- but only for
> Legacy IP [...]

I made it through the fwcutter stuff no problem but I'm a bit unsure as to
where to go from here.  At first I tried adding a device with s-c-n but
that seems like it should be unnecessary.  Do I need to do this to be able
to use ifup?  NetworkManager seems to be a bit broken for me ATM so I've
been playing with iwconfig.

Immediately after boot, iwconfig shows the Airport Extreme device as eth0
but when I actually start up wired networking (with ifup eth0), iwconfig
changes to list the device as "dev#####" where the #s seem to be the device
number.  Is this what I should expect?  Is putting alias eth1 bcm43xx in
/etc/modprobe.conf all I need to do?

Thanks.  I'm very excited about this!

Andrew "networking newb" Overholt