Test kernel with Broadcom BCM43xx wireless support.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 16:30:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:07 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 23:15 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > What exactly are the issues that the driver has with NM?
>
> One issue that I'm not sure if known is that signal strength for all
> networks shows as 100%.

There could be two issues there:

1) NM needs to get updated for WE-19.  The strength calculations were
done pre-WE-19, and as such don't take some constants into account.  I
probably need to review the code here anyway.

2) HOWEVER: I'm blaming drivers first for strength.  NM follows a quite
strict interpretation of the rules for signal strength, as specified in
the WEXT spec:

a) the driver can specify it's own qual->qual between 0 and
max_qual->qual (from SIOCGIWRANGE)
b) dBm: driver must specify max_qual->level = 0, and have valid values
for qual->level and (qual->noise OR max_qual->noise)
c) raw RSSI: driver must specify max_qual->level > 0, and have valid
values for qual->level and max_qual->level

It turns out that as of today's SVN snapshot, the driver doesn't support
SIOCGIWSTATS yet, so no signal quality for you.  Furthermore, it doesn't
hook up scanned signal quality to its internal network list, so
ieee80211_wx_get_scan() can't get the quality data.

Dan