Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Sat Jan 21 23:47:03 UTC 2006

Brian Durant writes:
 > Here is an interesting posting that I just received. I don't know if
 > this can be applied to vanilla Fedora Core PPC, as it looks like it
 > is a YDL specific kernel upgrade, but I still thought it might have
 > some relevance:

This is web page was about the support for the very first of the new
PowerMac G5 machines. With this fix I got fan support for our 2.0GHz G5,
back when we ran YDL because I thought their Mac focus would mean better
support for such things. note these were kernels from around 2.6.8 and
2.6.9.

However, this was specifically PowerMac7,2 and for PowerMac7,3 I had to
move to FC4 unless I wanted to pay for YDL 4.0.91 beta. For a while I
built my own kernel but I didn't want to keep doing that, applying a
simple patch to add 7,3 support that I got from a benh post somewhere.

As far as your 9,1 system, 2.6.15 was the first place the support was
officially integrated. It is likely that YDL 4.1 might have it when it
comes out, even if its a backport to an older kernel. I'm going to grab
the 4.1 YDL kernels when they are available and try them out. I'm also
going to try and rebuild the FC4 test 2.6.15 kernels to see if I can get
them working properly.

YDL's business was originally focused on Macintosh but with the move to
Apple to Intel, they have moved to PowerPC boxes from other vendors such
IBM and others, as well as moving to a focus on scientific cluster
computing, including layering on top of other peoples x86 linux
solations. So I'm not counting on them for a lot of future support for
the final generation Apple hardware. YDL 4.x was Fedora Core based, so
its not that different that YDL. FC even uses the "yum" package updater
originally from YDL.

The good news is that Linus Torvalds uses one of the dual proc G5's so
you can count on powerpc working well for the near future :)

-bri