G4 running FC4

Peter M. Metcalf pmetcalf at nd.edu
Tue May 16 14:56:32 UTC 2006

Paul,
Maybe "kernel panic" is not correct.  What happened was after the first
time that I upgraded the kernel with yum, it still wanted to default to my
original kernel.  I then booted "opt" to the new kernel by selecting it
manually.  It gives you a quick open script and then when it should switch
to screen 2 for bootup it hangs and nothing happens.

Second time with all new reloads of Mac 10.4.6 and 1369 linux loaded all
worked as you would hope.  Did the yum update and this time yaboot realized
that I had a 2nd kernel, choose it for me and the same hangup happened.

I am now reloaded for the 3rd time and running 1369 without a
problem.  Would love to update but I'm getting older as I go and wishing
doesn't make it happen.

My first instinct was that the later kernel simply isn't for my older G4
package....no clue.
Pete