FC4 --> FC5 need yaboot, OF help

Mike Hammill mike at kth.se
Wed May 17 13:00:15 UTC 2006

Dear Paul et al,

Thanks a lot for the tips.  I didn't realize there was a "linux rescue"
and now I'm feeling hopeful.  I made a first pass solution, but it
didn't work.  I think it's maybe not too far off, but I could use some
advice on how to specify my LVM volume properly and how to install the
bootloader.  The details and specific questions follow:

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 10:53 -0400, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> It's sounds like an ofpath bug (for real this time...).  What exact
> hardware do you have.

Thanks to the "linux rescue" you mentioned, I pulled together the info.
It's (temporarily) at:
http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/Lamby/machine_info  (CPU, memory, PCI)
http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/Lamby/lvm_info (my FC4 LVM volumes)
(lamby is the machine's name).  BTW, there is no MacOS on the machine,
so no worries about trashing other volumes.

> Can you boot off the DVD with "linux rescue" into rescue mode.  We
> should be able to fix up from there.  If you can boot into rescue mode,
> can you:
>
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grab yaboot.conf, and run ofpath --debug /dev/hda2
>
> Also wget http://people.redhat.com/pnasrat/ofpath and try with that
> version.

Yes, all of this worked fine.  The output from ofpath is at:
http://www.pdc.kth.se/~mike/Lamby/bootload_info
It turns out running ofpath -V from within chroot gave the same answer
as running ./ofpath -V on the pnasrat version, namely, 1.0.7.  I was
running an up-to-date FC4, so perhaps that is why.

Also included in the bootload_info file above is:
* my previous /etc/fstab which worked in FC4
* the yaboot.conf FC5 created (not-working)
* my first try at a new yaboot.conf (not working)
* resulting message when trying to install my yaboot.conf

Well, I gave it the college try and put my yaboot.conf in /etc/yaboot.conf, then, following the tips from the Gentoo folks,
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=10
I tried to install it outside of the chroot environment.  Unfortunately, this didn't work.  I got:
yabootconfig: /dev/VolGroup: No such file or directory
I just had the scary thought that I wiped my old yaboot.conf that worked
under FC4, but I think I kept it.  I'll have to check later.  In any
event, I hope someone's got more of a clue than me.

Best regards,
/Mike