ata 66 and blue and white g3

james rooker james_l_rooker at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 06:41:11 UTC 2006

I have already posted this on some yellowdog mailling
lists.
My issue is just as applicable to fedora ppc so trying
here as well.

I have a blue and white 400Mhz G3 with 1 20gb Western
Digital HD and 1
Maxtor 300gb HD. I am running the 20gb drive as the
boot drive with MacOSX Tiger. Without any patches the
300gb drive is seen as a 137gb drive -- With Intech's
ATA HD patch -- I can set multiple 137gb partitions
and use almost the entire 300gb. I would like to set
this machine up dual boot -- MacOSX and Fedora ppc
linux. However with both Fedora Core 4 and Fedora Core
5 ppc installers -- I can boot the machine just fine
and run the installer to the partitioning stage -- but
it never actually writes any linux packages to the HD
at all the installer locks up when I try to write
partitions to either drive ... I could get an ATA
controller card for this machine but thus far those
run between $79-$199 from what I have seen.  Does
anyone know of a patch that will make the Fedora ppc
installer work properly or of an ATA controller card
for $50 or less that would work for this machine??

I have also heard that either Fedora Core 5 or 6 had
some software built in that would circumvent the 137gb
partition limit -- is this true??

Thanks for your help.

James Rooker