two 2.5GHz PowerMac failed to boot FC5 with updates

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Thu Oct 19 22:48:13 UTC 2006

I had two PowerMac running FC5 that needed to be relocated last week
after several months of uptime. After the move they hung booting at the
initializing udev step. I tried a wide selection of older kernels that
were on the machines and all exhibited the same behavior. I'm guessing
this is a problem with the update udev in FC5. I noticed there is a
newer kernel (2200) that seems to have been released since then. Has
anyone tried the latest kernel with the latest udev? Am I the only one
seeing this problem? :) I reinstalled the machines and they are fine
again, but I would like to be able to update at some point.

-bri