FYI: libvirt / virt-install / virt-manager available on PPC in rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Aug 24 17:41:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:46:16 +0100
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> For Fedora 6 & 7, the virtualization management stack based on
> libvirt was never built for PPC. This is because it depended on Xen
> which was x86(_64) only. Since libvirt now has support for managing
> QEMU / KVM too, and QEMU RPMs are available on PPC in Fedora, we have
> removed the ExcludeArch from all the virt management RPMs. Xen
> support in libvirt is still explicitly excluded on PPC - we only
> build QEMU support. The build was just completed so RPMs should be
> available in rawhide in the near future.
>
> If the kernel-xen in Fedora ever gets PPC support we can also enable
> libvirt to support Xen on PPC, but that's blocked on PPC kernel merge
> & not aware of anyone actively working on that.

So I'm not sure how you'd prevent this, but qemu cannot emulate
usefully a fully working ppc(64) guest.  There are lots of problems
there, and a non-existant upstream for it.  So you might be able to use
libvirt + qemu to emulate x86 on ppc, but not ppc itself.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)