FYI: libvirt / virt-install / virt-manager available on PPC in rawhide

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 25 20:43:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 18:59 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > So I'm not sure how you'd prevent this, but qemu cannot emulate
> > usefully a fully working ppc(64) guest.  There are lots of problems
> > there, and a non-existant upstream for it.  So you might be able to use
> > libvirt + qemu to emulate x86 on ppc, but not ppc itself.
>
> Ah that's useful info - i saw a qemu-system-ppc  binary in the QEMU RPM
> and thus assumed it was working. If it doesn't work we can easily change
> the whitelist in libvirt - we basically just list all qemu-system-XXX
> binaries which we think work reasonably.

I don't think there's any particular problem with qemu-system-ppc per
se; it's more the _firmware_ we use in it, which is a quick hack which
was just about sufficient to get older kernels (and AIX etc.) working.
These days, it isn't really sufficient. New kernels expect a sane and
complete device-tree, etc.

At some point in my Copious Spare Time™ I mean to try to fix it, or
maybe even port the version of OpenFirmware that we're using on OLPC.
Spare time hasn't exactly been copious recently though :)

--
dwmw2