f7 yaboot problem on G3

Mike Hammill michael at hammill.name
Wed Jun 6 14:30:55 UTC 2007

Could someone provide me with a reasonable yaboot.conf file or tell me
how to make one to get f7 to boot on a G3?

Background:

I've been running fc6 on a Mac G3 (blue and white) and earlier version
of fc before that.  I really like it and decided to upgrade to f7.  I
used the clean install option (nothing else on the hard drive) from the
DVD and the installation went fine.

Originally, I choose the default layout, which seems to put nearly
everything under LVM.  I couldn't boot that, and I figured yaboot
couldn't handle LVM.  So, I started over from scratch and put reasonable
things on LVM, the rest on their own partitions, namely:

/dev/sda3 /boot ext2 120M
/dev/sda4 /var/cache/openafs ext2 2048M
/dev/sda5 / ext3 2048M
/dev/sda6 swap 1024M
/dev/sda7 LVM where
/dev/vg/home 5120M mounted under /home
/dev/vg/opt 2048M mounted as expected...
/dev/vg/tmp 2048M ...
/dev/vg/usr 10240M ...
/dev/vg/var 5120M ...
/dev/vg/userlocal 1024M ...

This also installed fine, and f7 seemed to create /dev/sda2 as an Apple
bootstrap partition.  However, when rebooting, I got the broken folder
icon and the best I can do was reboot to the rescue disk.  Rescue did a
great job, found my f7 installation, mounted all the above (except
openafs partition) and I then chrooted to /mnt/sysimage.  There, I have
tried various incantations to install the boot image to the bootstrap
partition, but nothing works.

Is one to do it from outside chroot, e.g.,

yabootconfig -t /mnt/sysimage -b /dev/sda2

or inside using ybin -v or only use mkofboot?

I hate to say it, but the closest success I got was booting with
Gentoo's CD, mounting everything, running yabootconfig and then on
reboot it at least boots f7's initrd and vmlinuz (however it kernel
panics).  Using only f7's rescue disk, I tried, after letting rescue
find the installation, the following.  Note here I did NOT chroot first:

Try 1:
yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/sysimage
Got:
Unable to locate bootstrap parition on /dev/sda...

Try 2:
yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/sysimage -b /dev/sda2
Got:
Install yaboot bootstrap on /dev/sda2 to boot Linux from /dev/sda5?
[Yes]
Creating a simple /mnt/sysimage/etc/yaboot.config...
Enter kernel image: /mnt/sysimage/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
Enter an initrd image: /mnt/sysimage/boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
/mnt/sysimage/sbin/yabootconf: line 733: ofpath: command not found
yabootconfig: unable to determine OpenFirmware device name to /dev/sda
aborting.

Try 3:
PATH_PREFIX=/mnt/sysimage yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/sysimage
-b /dev/sda2
Got: same as above except it got a little further.  After entering the
initrd, it gave:
Running mkofboot to make the disk bootable...
Failed to initialize HFS working directories: No such file or directory
mkofboot: /dev/sda2 appears to have never had a bootstrap installed,
please run mkofboot.

I'd like to not give up on f7, but the above is pretty frustrating.

Best regards,
/Mike