yum and multiple architectures... more pain!

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 22:16:08 UTC 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 21:39 +0000, Andrea wrote:
>
> SDL-devel requires alsa-lib-devel
>
> Foo-devel requires alsa-lib-devel
>
> There's no direct relation between SDL-devel and Foo-devel.
>
> yum remove alsa-lib-devel removes both SDL-devel Foo-devel, since they
> both required alsa-lib-devel. yum install SDL-devel only install
> SDL-devel and its requirements, which do not include Foo-devel.

Sorry, my case is different

3 packages are installed:

SDL-devel.ppc64
SDL-devel.ppc
alsa-lib-devel.ppc64

alsa-lib-devel.ppc is NOT installed

For sure SDL-devel.ppc64 depends on alsa-lib-devel.ppc64.
The I have to guess that SDL-devel.ppc depends on alsa-lib-devel.ppc64 too. (a bit strange though)
Otherwise I could not be installed.

Then I remove alsa-lib-devel.ppc64 and yum removes

alsa-lib-devel.ppc64
SDL-devel.ppc64
SDL-devel.ppc

Then when I install SDL-devel.ppc, yum installs

SDL-devel.ppc
alsa-lib-devel.ppc

So it looks like alsa-lib-devel.ppc and alsa-lib-devel.ppc64 are equivalent (for yum).
That is not possible since

/usr/lib/libasound.so is only part of ppc version
/usr/lib64/libasound.so is only part of ppc64 version.