yum and multiple architectures... more pain!

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:38:25 UTC 2008

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 20:39 +0000, Andrea wrote:
>> Why can I install gdb.ppc and gdb.ppc64 (that provide the same files), but
>> alsa-lib-devel.ppc and alsa-lib-devel.ppc64 (that provide some common files) conflict?
>> What is the exact rule to define a "RPM file conflict"?
>
> I believe that it makes a difference whether you install them at the
> same time, or separately. I have both versions of alsa-lib-devel
> installed, but I think that installing one when the other is _already_
> installed would fail.
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=multilib

Thanks for pointing out.
I can finally see some "documentation" about this behavior.
Will be checking for any development.

Do you know what happens in other distributions non based on RPM?
I've never used anything other than RedHat and Fedora (almost 10 years now), but I think it is time
to look around.
Would be interesting to know how they handle this tricky problem?