Booting Fedora on an old 7248

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 14:59:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 02:32:08PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 07:30 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > The B50 is a CHRP machine.  The 7248 is a PReP machine.  Fedora does
> > not support PReP machines.
>
> It shouldn't actually be that hard. Just feed it a flattened device-tree
> from your bootloader and it should be fine.

What PReP bootloaders exist?  When I was using my 7248 in the
past, I always just booted a floppy that had a kernel dd'ed to it.
Alternatively you could boot from a PReP partition (type 41) with a
kernel dd'ed to it.

I remember once thinking that implementing a yaboot- or grub-like
bootloader for PReP might be a fun/interesting project, but the
userbase is a bit limited and the box is a bit wimpy...

Anyway, if you know of a bootloader for PReP I'd like to hear about it.
I imagine that you might could implement a kexec-based loader nowadays
as an alternative.  Well, I'm rambling...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville at redhat.com