A puzzle: getting Fedora PPC on to an iBook G4

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Aug 9 10:37:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 22:49 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I have a late 2003 iBook G4.  It's one of the ones that had the
> display fault which Apple wouldn't admit to[1].
>
> The upshot of this is: the internal LCD does not work.  Being an
> iBook, it also doesn't have a serial port.  However it does have wired
> network, an external display and several USB ports.
>
> Currently it is running Mac OS X, using the external display.
>
> Here's a puzzle for you: how do I get Fedora PPC on this machine?
>
> There is no visible way to get to the OpenFirmware boot prompt.  (I
> mean, I can get to it, but I have to type blind, and I don't see any
> messages).
>
> It does seem to boot into the Fedora PPC CD disk 1, judging by the
> noises it makes.  Of course it's not very much use because it won't
> use the external display, so I can't see anything.

So use VNC.

If you give the installer enough information on the kernel command line,
you don't need to interact with it at all -- it'll go straight into a
VNC install and the first thing you have to do is connect to its VNC
server. It's been a while since I've done a totally headless install,
but ISTR the things you need to provide are:
	- Language
	- Keyboard
	- Repository URL
	- IP information

It may be that switching to NetworkManager in the installer has broken
this capability. Try it on a machine that _isn't_ headless until you can
get from the bootloader prompt into VNC without having to touch it. It
doesn't have to be a PPC machine.

Kickstart is another alternative, perhaps.

> I have not been able to get it to netboot.  It sends packets to my
> dnsmasq-based PXE server, and dnsmasq sends packets back, but nothing
> further happens.  (This dnsmasq configuration can boot PC guests
> fine).
>
> Is there something I can type blind at the CD prompt?  (And what?)
>
> Is there another boot method?
>
> Serial-over-ethernet?
>
> USB serial ports?  (I don't have one, but I could get one if you think
> they would work).

You can telnet into OpenFirmware -- some versions of it, at least. Try
something like:
	" enet:telnet,10.0.0.1" io

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_boot.html

If you can't telnet into OF, you could still make an installer boot.iso
with the appropriate kernel command line (to get it straight to VNC)
hardcoded into its yaboot.conf.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation