Fedora 16 on Power - install problems very early in the process

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Mon Dec 26 17:57:17 UTC 2011

>> > At the prompt which answers "linux" when you hit tab (the yaboot
>> > prompt), enter
>> >
>> > linux text
>> >
>> > and try that.
>> >

>> Thanks for the help, however, same result. I end up with black on the left of the screen and
>> blue
>> on the right. No text .. no menus, nothing.
>>
>> Wish there was a headless option with a serial port.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> try
> linux vnc
> see:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Installation_Guide/VNC_Whitepaper-installation.html
>
> I have still some problems with my imac g5 display in X though after
> installation.

good suggestion, tried that and 25 secs into the install the system switches from output of
messages to the console to a black screen with a blue section on the right. Then it just sits
there.

So I figure my system hardware is borked, perhaps.

I download and burn the Debian PPC64 DVD iso and try to install with that. It comes up with
options for install, install64 and expert and expert64. I select expert64 and installation
proceeds smoothly and all in text. No graphics to be seen.

Not sure what's up with the Fedora 16 installer or my system on this dual socket dual core G5 but
getting an installation going is turning out to be too much like work.

Dennis