kexec-boot into anaconda installer

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at redpill-linpro.com
Sat Feb 12 22:33:12 UTC 2011

Last summer, I concluded that I could never install any fedora version later than 9 on my IBM B50 (yes, I know, it's nothing but a 32bit, heavy, dust-gathering attic-heating door-stopper), because its firmware was unable to load any kernel+initrd larger than 16MB. No that Fedora for ppc is being blown life into again, It would be awsome to install later versions too.

I could of course, do a yum upgrade. I would probably be able to solve most problems that could arise manually.

But, then I thought, what about booting into anaconda via kexec? Wouldn't that work?

Given a boot CD in the tray, what boot arguments should I feed the kexec kernel with to be able to run the installer?

Best regards,
Ingvar Hagelund