CPU compatibility layer

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed May 2 13:56:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 16:56 +0100, Mattia Tristo wrote:
> I have wrotten a thread in Linux Forums about a CPU Layer
> compatibility to answer little-big endian method. I think it would be
> wonderful to teach the kernel to convert between the two types and ask
> the layer to do the translations ordering the data in memory or
> letting them in the original state.

It's fairly much impossible to do this unless you know the precise
format of the data.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Anything for which we have source is unlikely to be so badly-written
that it has endianness issues — at least anything we care about.

And anything for which we *don't* have source is probably going to have
to run in qemu-i386 anyway.

--
dwmw2