Fedora 19 for Power Beta Available

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Jun 7 06:04:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 04:55:39PM -0400, David Aquilina wrote:

> The Fedora for Power team is ready to take the cat out of the bag for
> the beta release of Fedora 19, "Schrödinger's Cat", which is available
> at your closest mirror:
>
>  http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/19-Beta/ppc64/

So I tried this on my G5 and got a python trace (when I can I'll get a
photo and upload it)

Unsupported PPC machine type: PMac

This is from python-blivet platform.py:

def getPlatform():
    """Check the architecture of the system and return an instance of a
       Platform subclass to match.  If the architecture could not be determined,
       raise an exception."""
    if arch.isPPC():
        ppcMachine = arch.getPPCMachine()

        if (ppcMachine == "PMac" and arch.getPPCMacGen() == "NewWorld"):
            return NewWorldPPC()
        elif ppcMachine in ["iSeries", "pSeries"]:
            return IPSeriesPPC()
        elif ppcMachine == "PS3":
            return PS3()
        else:
            raise SystemError, "Unsupported PPC machine type: %s" % ppcMachine

Now the only way is I should get this message is if arch.getPPCMacGen()
is returning something other than "NewWorld".  Looking at /proc/cpuinfo
it really is a NewWorld system.

Debugging this is made harder by the fact that none of the
anaconda/strorage/program logs are available in tmux so I can't actually
see what arch.getPPCMachine() and  arch.getPPCMacGen()  are returning.

Anyone know how to get the logs working and/or rebuilding
anaconda/blivet to allow me to get past this issue?

Yours Tony