Fedora 20 for Power Alpha now available

David Aquilina dwa at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 16:11:50 UTC 2013

The Fedora for Power team is delighted to announce that Fedora 20
"Heisenbug" for Power's Alpha release is now available at your closest
mirror:

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/20-Alpha/ppc64/

This announcement is also available on the wiki at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PowerPC/F20_PPC_Alpha_Release_Announcement

== What is the Alpha Release? ==

The Alpha release contains all the exciting features of Fedora 20 in a
form that anyone can help test. This testing, guided by the Fedora QA team,
 helps us target and identify bugs. When these bugs are fixed,
we make a Beta release available. A Beta release is code-complete and
bears a very strong resemblance to the third and final release. The
final release of Fedora 20 is expected in early December.

We need your help to make Fedora 20 the best release yet, so please take
some time to download and try out the Alpha and make sure the things
that are important to you are working. If you find a bug, please report
it -- every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the experience for
millions of Fedora users worldwide. Together, we can make Fedora a
rock-solid distribution.  We have a culture of coordinating new features
and pushing fixes upstream as much as feasible and your feedback will
help improve not only Fedora but Linux and free software on the whole.
(See "Contributing" at the end of this announcement for more information
on how to help.)

== Power-specific Features ==

In addition to all of the standard Fedora 20 features, Fedora 20 for
Power also has the following changes:

* grub2 has replaced yaboot as the DVD bootloader. yaboot is now
 completely deprecated.

* All 32-bit packages have been removed from the install media. They are
 still available online.

== Issues and Details ==

Heisenbug Alpha is a testing release. To report issues encountered
during testing, contact the Fedora QA team via the test
mailing list or in #fedora-qa on freenode, or the Fedora for Power team
via the ppc mailing list or on #fedora-ppc, also on freenode.

For tips on reporting a bug effectively, read
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_file_a_bug_report

== Fedora for Power Known Issues ==

* When using Gnome via VNC for the first time, you may see a blank
 screen. Press Escape to dismiss the blank window and access the
 desktop.

== Contributing ==

More information on Fedora for Power can be found at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Arch:PPC. To get involved in testing and
development of Fedora for Power, join us on IRC in #fedora-ppc on
Freenode.

On behalf of the Fedora for Power team,
David

--