Fw: [fedora-virt] Loading the KVM module (Fedora 19 on ppc64, POWER7)

Jacob Yundt jyundt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 20:36:28 UTC 2013

> When it comes to LPARs, the Advanced System Management web interface shows "LPAR creation allowed False", but the entire table (CoD Capability Settings) is not really verbose:

Are you managing this system with an IVM or HMC? Or is this truly
bare-metal?  If this is bare-metal (e.g. "green screen"), you might
not have powerVM on this server and might not be able to create any
LPARs.

> Is there any document that would explain these things?

There is some minimal documentation on IBM's site[1][[2] regarding
ASMI usage, however, I would be _extremely_ hesitant to mess around
with any of the ASMI settings.

> Right now I have no idea how LPARs are (un)related to KVM and who can (not) create them. (A running OS? Or simply everyone?)

LPARs ("logical partitions") are a similar concept to VMs and are
created by powerVM.  You would (typically) create LPARs through an IVM
or HMC.  In this case, LPARs are unrelated to KVM.

-Jacob

[1] http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fiphby%2Fareaaconnectpc.htm

[2] http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/iphby/iphby.pdf