Fedora 22

Michael J Wolf mjwolf at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 16 19:03:50 UTC 2014

> Re: Fedora 22
>
> Sent by:
>
> ppc-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> >> Hi
> >>   We briefly discussed priorities for Fedora 22 and I had taken an
> >> action item to start an email conversation about this.  So here is
> >> what I would like to see for Fedora 22.
> >>
> >> 1)  Get the -mcpu and -mtune flags set properly for the LE build.
> >> Should be -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8
> >
> > done, all packages that honour the Fedora system wide compiler flags
> > use them, if they don't it's a packaging bug
> >
> >> 2) Have a cloud image available
> >> 3) For BE I would like another subarch.  Same packages as the current
> >> one but tuned for P8.
> >
> > you mean in addition to ppc64p7? can't we just switch ppc64p7 from
> > -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power7 to -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8?
>
> This makes sense to me as it then mirrors what we have in ppc64le and
> it saves having more targets.

The disadvantage of this would be to cut off users that have Power 7
systems
and optimized code.  So why would people want to optimize from Fedora 21 to
Fedora 22.  You would be taking a big step back in performance.  I don't
want to suggest keeping a subarch for each type of POWER system out there.
was thinking of keeping two.  So when the next POWER arch that comes out,
the Power 7 subarch goes away and you would have Power 8 and the new Power
arch.