Fedora 22

Timo Schöler timo at riscworks.net
Wed Dec 17 08:00:51 UTC 2014

On 12/16/2014 08:03 PM, Michael J Wolf wrote:

>> > done, all packages that honour the Fedora system wide compiler flags
>> > use them, if they don't it's a packaging bug

>> > you mean in addition to ppc64p7? can't we just switch ppc64p7 from
>> > -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power7 to -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8?
>>
>> This makes sense to me as it then mirrors what we have in ppc64le and
>> it saves having more targets.
>
> The disadvantage of this would be to cut off users that have Power 7 systems
> and optimized code.  So why would people want to optimize from Fedora 21 to
> Fedora 22.  You would be taking a big step back in performance.  I don't
> want to suggest keeping a subarch for each type of POWER system out
> there.  I
> was thinking of keeping two.  So when the next POWER arch that comes out,
> the Power 7 subarch goes away and you would have Power 8 and the new
> Power arch.

That would mean that enthusiasts like myself, happily running Fedora on
a Power 285 workstation, would lose Fedora?

I'd really like to keep it. Red Hat dropped Power5 support quite a time
ago, so if there ever comes a CentOS 7 ppc to life, it'd had to be
tweaked to run on those machines. *If*, that is. Furthermore, Power6
boxes aren't that old, either.

I just want to emphasize that with keeping "old" metal running (we're
not talking of ancient hardware) the useable hardware available for
people doing this on a hobbyists scale would be much bigger -- so would
be the community. Having Power 7 and Power 8 only, that wouldn't be the
case any longer.

Regards,

Timo