Phase out 32bit ppc due to bugfix and maintenance burden

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Sun May 11 14:20:57 UTC 2014

On Sunday, May 11, 2014, 8:35:33 AM, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> On 09.05.2014 18:17, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
>> I  would suggest that supporting all desktops and the full package set
>> would indeed be an unrealistic goal. Not just for ppc-32, but also for
>> ppc-64.
>>
>> One  of the limiting factors is that the graphics hardware simply does
>> not  have the capabilities in most cases. Perhaps Wayland can simplify
>> that.
> We have Radeon HD 4000, 5000, 6000, and 7000 in our A1-X1000 (Nemo
> boards). They have enough capabilities for new desktops.

Those are covered by the Radeon 600 and later KMS and Mesa drivers, so
should work well (except for ppc/ppc64 specific issues).

That  means  LXDE, XCFE, Mate and Gnome 3 at least should be viable. I
do not have have any personal KDE experience.

The  Nemo  boards are ppc64, and I saw on the blog you referenced that
you  have  the  3.14  Kernel  running.  What are you using as the boot
loader, and what distribution?