Phase out 32bit ppc due to bugfix and maintenance burden

Steven Munroe munroesj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue May 13 20:29:38 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 13:32 -0400, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> On Monday, May 12, 2014, 1:05:55 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

The problem is that all the PPC32 hardware is pre V2 ISA. The 970 (G5)
and PA6T are 64-bit and V2 ISA.

Since PowerISA-2.01 (POWER4) we have added ~470 (up to the current
PowerISA-2.07 POWER8) new user mode instructions and several new
facilities (Decimal Floating Point, Vector Scalar Extended / 64
float/vector register, Hardware Transactional Memory, Event Based
Branch, Crypto, ...)

So how does keeping old PPC32 machines alive help the ecosystem, if that
community can't help exploit the latest (last 10 years) PowerISA
features?

> >> At  work,  we  don't have application-level AIX systems anymore - only
> >> virtualized systems running in LPARs on larger systems. I suspect that
> >> nearly  all of the ppc64 individual users are running on hardware that
> >> commercial users would consider to at least some degree vintage (or at
> >> least not mainstream).
>
> > Very much no.
>
> >> This  puts  Power  systems in an odd place between Fedora, Centos, and
> >> Redhat. It tends to limit the number of folks interested in working on
> >> Power  systems  in  general  to those with commercial interests, which
> >> means  they  may tend to be less interested in contributing to Fedora.
>
> > On the contrary, the Fedora ppc64 efforts (more accurately POWER
> > efforts) are driven in large part by the lone commercial interest in
> > POWER today: IBM.  They have put, and are continuing to put,
> > significant resources into making sure Fedora runs well on POWER
> > platforms.
>
> I'm  aware  of  IBM's  involvement.

Are you really?

http://openpowerfoundation.org/
http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/04/23/ibm-google-show-power8-systems-openpower-efforts/

IBM is moving aggressively to open up and expand the POWER ecosystem.
But starting with 64-bit, Binary/Decimal Floating Point, and Vector.