Phase out 32bit ppc due to bugfix and maintenance burden

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Thu May 15 12:37:52 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 02:05 AM, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 5:14:01 AM, Dan HorĂ¡k wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 May 2014 13:00:30 -0700
>> Connor Behan <connor.behan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Although I'm not involved with Fedora, my suggestion would be dropping
>>> ppc versions of heavyweight packages instead of doing a full phase
>>> out. There are plenty of window managers, text editors, image
>>> viewers, media players, etc whose stated goal is to not bloat over
>>> time. Isn't this one of the main advantages of free software?
>
>> this is not feasible, but anybody is free to take Fedora packages as an
>> upstream and do a partial rebuild themselves
>
> That  partial  rebuild  being  known  as  a  remix.  The  packages are
> restricted  to  largely  what is within the Fedora git, but built in a
> different manner.
>
> It  really  does  sound  like  the practical solution for to the pcc32
> situation.  As  a  group,  we  need to come to an understanding of the
> rules  for  a  remix,  and  the relationship between the remix and the
> parent distribution.
>
> As  in  any situation where multiple groups work together on divergent
> goals,  there  will  always be differences of opinion.  While some may
> view the whole goal of the remix as a distraction and Pandora's box of
> problems waiting to happen, others will view it favourably (perhaps as
> a result of nostalgia, or their own active interest).
>
> Over  the  next interval, the ppc64 folks have immediate taks to do to
> get the ppc64 alpha into shape.  I think we can agree that is the most
> important task - the ppc32 remix  effort  can't  get in the way of the
> official ppc64 Fedora release.
>
> That   being  said, my hope would be that the ppc64 folks cooperate at
> least  passively in helping the remix to achieve its goals.  Fedora is
> not  only  the  effective upstream for the remix, but it (or RedHat in
> general) is the actual upstream for many packages.
>
> Actively  removing  support  for  ppc32  from packages presents such a
> problem.  By  some  casual  checks  of Bugzilla, I know that the build
> environment,  kernel and system configuration tools such as lorax have
> recent  ppc32-specific fixes. Other tools such as pungi have had their
> ppc32 support (for Mac and CHRP) actively removed.
>
> I  would submit that removing the ability to do live CDs/DVDs has hurt
> ppc  in  general, as it makes testing more difficult for areas such as
> video  driver  and  boot  support.  That would be a focus area for the
> remix.
>
> It  is  not  just  Fedora  where  cooperation will be helpful. Perhaps
> working  together  we  can  revive  some  of the infrastructure around
> Fedora  (such  as RPM Fusion) for both. It would be nice to be able to
> have packages such as VLC available.
>
> In  any case, I'm sure the folks that have been around for a while can
> provide  some  history, insights and advise. I'm interested in hearing
> them!

> [...]

Hi Al.

I don't know if it needs to be a remix, but maybe looking at it as a
spin would be an option? I'm uncertain though if that would be feasible
from a definition point, as iirc spins need to be created from packages
officially built and signed in Fedora proper, which would not be the
case anymore. It's for certain some gray area here where probably FESCO
or our Fedora legal team will have better and more concrete answers.

Overall though the whole point is not preventing anyone to do 32bit PPC,
quite the contrary. The bottom line as i tried to explain (probably
badly so, apologies) is that the focus of the people currently actively
working on making the Power platform happen in Fedora have eyes mainly
on current and future technology of the Power platform, see Steven
Munroe's email for more details. The point is rather that we therefore
don't have the time anymore to do all this, so something had to give
now. And the best time to do so is prior to branching and our mass
rebuild for a release, which is scheduled to begin on June 6 and where
everything needs to be prepared by May 26.

All that being said, as all of us have an interest in non Intel
architectures we'll certainly be available for helping out with getting
the infrastructure set up and running and we're available on IRC or via
this email list if any questions come up.

Hope that clarifies some of the reasons why we want to do this.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111