Mac PowerBook G4

Bill Chatfield bill_chatfield at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 17:51:37 UTC 2014

Thanks for the info Dan and Al.

Right, I'm interested in ppc32 from a hobbyist perspective. Red Hat/CentOS would be for production. The difference between running MacOS X and Linux on this machine is like night and day, with Linux being the "day". I think the effort to make things work on older hardware forces one to think more about efficiency versus waste, which is a good thing to consider.

I have a Fedora 17 PPC install disk. And now I know, by experimenting with Lubuntu PPC, which kernel parameters are required to get X to start up on my machine, so I can probably start with Fedora 17. But, it looks like I'll need to upgrade through to F20.