Python package naming guidelines

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 16:19:08 UTC 2008

Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 16:21 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Other than that, bit... python libs and python lib ports should both be
>> prefixed with python-.  A python framework should be prefixed with
>> python- as well but the definition of framework is a bit ambiguous: zope
>> can run standalone and therefore could be considered an application
>> while TurboGears cannot run until someone creates an application that
>> imports it, therefore it should definitely have been named
>> python-turbogears.
>
> So, under that logic, I should have named pysvn python-pysvn?  That
> seems a bit redundant to me, but I'm willing to play along if that is
> the consensus.

Yeah... but there is a specific exception in the guidelines for packages
which start with 'py'.  scop talked about having that exception removed
(old packages grandfathered) but it never reached the proposal stage.

> If this is The Way, it should be updated on the wiki so other (future)
> maintainers can avoid the ambiguity.  Yes, I've volunteered to make the
> change (or propose it to Packaging Committee) as long as there is
> sufficient consensus, or however the Python SIG is making decisions.
> That is unless someone with more tenure would be more applicable in this
> case.

If the wiki isn't clear, definitely draft better wording and propose it
to the Packaging Committee.

-Toshio