Any opinions on updating SQLAlchemy for F-13?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:53:03 UTC 2010

It's a bit late for incompatible versions so I'm asking for opinions here:

SQLAlchemy-0.6beta1 is out.  Should we update the SA package in F-13 to the
new version?  Things that have been deprecated throughout the 0.5 release
cycle have been removed so it's possible that some things will break with
this update.  We could push an  SA0.5 compat package as well as moving the
main SA to 0.6 but that won't solve the problem entirely -- it just means
people will need to patch code to use sys.path or setuptools to use the
proper SA instead of patching out deprecated code.  Migration docs:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/06Migration

So what are the benefits?  New features are available, speed increase via
a C extension, and support for building a python3 module are the notable
improvements.

The new package is in F-14 (although not yet with thepython3 submodule or
the C extensions turned on.. working on that now) if you want to test it out
with your own packages/code.  Just not sure yet what to do about F-13.

-Toshio