Python SIG

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 19:36:35 UTC 2010

I noticed that there's an effort to better organize the various Special
Interest Groups in Fedora:
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/2

I noticed that although https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python
had "[[Category:Language-specific SIGs]]" we didn't have:
"[[Category:SIGs]]" and so we weren't showing anywhere on that page.

I've fixed this, and the page is now at least showing on the list at the
bottom of:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:SIGs

However, we're not in the hand-written list on that page, and I feel
that we should be (hey, Ruby gets a mention, why can't we :) )

Any ideas what the summary info for the SIG should be?  At the risk of
plagiarism, Ruby's says:
"A SIG for people who are interested in improving the state of Ruby in
Fedora. This includes packaging Ruby libraries and applications, setting
and improving standards for packaging them as RPM's and maintaining Ruby
packages for Fedora."

and that might be a good first start, but I'd also include the runtime
as well as libraries and applications - I don't want people to feel that
the runtime is somehow sacrosanct (just more care required!).

How about this:
"A SIG for people who are interested in Python on Fedora. This includes
packaging and optimizing the various Python 2 and Python 3 runtimes
(CPython, Jython), packaging libraries and applications, setting and
improving standards for packaging them as RPM's and maintaining Python
packages for Fedora."
(somewhat copied from Ruby)

I think the various questions on the F-E-S ticket are good ones.  I'm
willing to do some work towards some of that ticket, but any help would
be welcome.

Thoughts?
Dave