Automatic Provides and Requires for Python modules

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Mar 22 19:19:40 UTC 2010

> In general, +1 to this.

Thanks for your very detailed reply !

> In describing this, module name is probably not the best word.
> ProjectName or EggName might be better.  (Because there can multiple
> modules but they are all described by a single name in the egg-info).

Right, I meant EggName (the Name: tag in the egg-info).

> Also PEPs that change the metadata format in distutils:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0390/

Yes, Tarek FTW !! :)

> Idea for Provides: +1

OK

> Idea for Requires: I think the versioning landscape in python is pretty
> crazy right now.  I'd leave off versions in Requires altogether until
> (hopefully) PEP-386 is implemented and becomes standard.

Agreed, in the light of your explanations, maybe we should leave versions
aside for now. We could only handle simple versions (only numbers and dots),
but that would not solve the problem of backporting fixes or the ... say,
casualness ... with which upstream authors add versionned deps ;-)
Actually, I always had in mind to handle the most common cases and leave the
corner cases for hand-made Requires, so I wholeheartedly agree.

Thanks for your review. I've updated the script in the previous URLs[1] if
you want to have a look at it.

I'm going to open a ticket in RPM's trac instance. If you know of a better
way, of course, I'm interested.

Regards,

Aurélien

[1] http://aurelien.bompard.org/projects/divers/pythondeps.sh
    http://aurelien.bompard.org/projects/divers/test-pythondeps.sh

http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
"Nous n'héritons pas la Terre de nos ancêtres, nous l'empruntons à nos
enfants." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry