Switching to Python 3

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:15:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to start a discussion about the release where we should switch to
> Python 3. As I have learned recently, Ubuntu 12.10 will have Python 3 as
> default [1], which makes me a sad panda :(
> We always take pride in being close to upstream and having the bleeding
> edge. Python 3 is stable and more and more libraries support it. So I'd
> like to propose an idea to switch to Python 3 for Fedora 19.
>
> Please note, that I don't want to start a flamewar with this, but a
> serious discussion. I want to know what python SIG thinks about taking this
> step before taking it to wider public on fedora-devel.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/TechnicalOverview/Alpha3#Python_3.0

What is the benefit of using python3 as primary version in Fedora, Other
than generate at lot of extra work for developers.
Python3 is just like another language, so you will put
extra maintenance work on developers who make system tools there is  used
on long life releases like RHEL, it make it hard to backport bug fixes.
Python 3 is great and if you make something new in python, it is a good
choice if then need libraries exists to Python 3, but converting an
application to be used on both python 2.x and 3.x is a lot of extra work
without big benefits.

Tim