Switching to Python 3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 07:09:40 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On 08/06/2012 04:22 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > The only distribution that has switched is arch.  When they did
> > there was
> > a big uproar about how arch was doing something wrong which
> > eventually
> > resulted in that PEP.
>
> Yeah, we mainly wrote PEP 394 in order to nudge *everyone else* into
> providing a /usr/bin/python2 symlink to help deal with Arch making
> their
> bold leap into the unknown (as well as going on record that we think
> switching it *right now* is still a bad idea). There's "bleeding
> edge"
> and then there's "tap dancing on razor blades in your bare feet" :P
>
> To be honest, I expect that the long term outcome will be that
> "/usr/bin/python" becomes solely the preserve of the OS, with all
> cross-platform scripts and applications using "/usr/bin/pythonX",
> software collections, or language level virtual environments.
>
> From an end user perspective, having things mostly compatible with
> both
> 2 and 3 should come *before* that symlink gets flipped rather than
> after.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.

Ok, then I would suggest using Tom Spura's idea about making only python2- and python3- packages (maybe with the virtual python- provides for python2- packages, as Toshio has mentioned). We could target this for F19 and we could also start helping various upstreams with switching to python 3 and see where this will take us. Does that sound good?

> --
> Nick Coghlan
> Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.