Django packages - proposed name changes

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 09:38:39 UTC 2012

Hi Pythonists!
in RHBZ #736776, Yury V. Zaytsev proposed renaming all Django packages (including Django itself) to python-django-*. This change is suggested because of current inconsistent state: Django and Django-south packages start with capital letters, other Django extension libraries start with lowercase letters - django-*. Also, since Django is a Python framework (not a standalone app), all of the modules should have 'python-' prepended. Personally, I agree with Yury and I think we should make this change. Here are the steps that I propose:
- discuss it on this list
- ask FPC what they think
- create a special section in Python packaging guidelines for packaging Django extensions/libraries, if we agree that we should do this change
- perhaps postponing this change to F18 might be a good idea

Note, that this change should not affect applications written in Django, only Django itself and its extensions/libraries. I would also consider using some kind of virtual provides, so that if someone types "yum install django", it will work - maybe each Django extension/library could have a virtual provide like "Provides: django(foo) = %{version}".

So, what do you think?

Regards,
Bohuslav.