Python3 as default

Piotr Ożarowski piotr at debian.org
Mon Apr 20 09:26:01 UTC 2015

> > We discussed the future fate of the /usr/bin/python symlink at the
> > language summit (and a little further at the sprints), and it
> > currently seems likely that we're going to go down the path of the
> > Python Launcher for Windows model, and make "python" refer to a
> > configurable shim that:
> >
> > 1. Launches an administrator configured Python version by default
> > 2. Can be switched to run a different Python via command line options
> >
> > This is essentially the rubypick model, but the CLI and configuration
> > file format will be defined by CPython upstream rather than by the
> > distro.
>
> It seems that Debian people are already onto something. I just saw

there are still many Debian developers that will do their best to
make sure /usr/bin/python points to /usr/bin/python2.7 at least until
2025 or so (assuming we'll still have this package in the archive after
2020)

That said, we'll do our best to remove this package from most/all
installations.

Hi, BTW. I'm lurking here since a while :)