Python guidelines cleanup

Bohuslav Kabrda slavek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 12:45:29 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> As many of you may be aware, FPC has been fielding several tickets
> surrounding python packaging lately, and the last one was a sizable
> reorganization that unfortunately was based on an older version of the
> guidelines.  While merging it all together I just said screw it and just
> cleaned up the page like I've always wanted to do.
>
> I suggest anyone who hasn't lost sanity due to this whole guidelines
> revision process pile onto:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/552#comment:4
>
> Here's the contents of that comment to save you a click.
>
> OK, this was a lot of stuff, and the more I worked on it, the more
> annoyed I became.  Plus the wiki kept eating my edits and I kept getting
> lost in the overhuge page.  So, I've probably gone too far in cleaning
> up but I'll present what I have and if people yell at me then I'll try
> something less ambitious.
>
> There are now three pages:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tibbs/PythonCleanup2
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_F21
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tibbs/PythonAppendix

<snip>

> Functionally I do not believe I have gone beyond anything upon which we
> voted but I wanted to toss this out there and see if anyone yells before
> I copy it into place.  Been trying to get this done for three days now
> and I think I'm finally there.

Hi Jason,
thanks for doing this, excelent work! I have only three comments:
- I'm not sure what the "%{python_provides:%python_provide python2-%{pypi_name}}" are supposed to do, did you mean to use "%{?python_provide:...}" (i.e. without the "s" and with question mark)?
- My last point from comment [1], later described more at [2], still deserves more discussion, I'd like to hear opinions of other folks as well.
- Same applies to the fourth point from my comment at [1].

Slavek

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/281#comment:29
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/281#comment:32