fedora wikipage Packaging:Python

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Jun 11 04:05:28 UTC 2015

NC> I agree it doesn't make sense to include that information in the
NC> Python packaging guidelines, but I think it does make sense to
NC> provide such recommendations *somewhere*.

I obviously agree, given that I wrote that I would try and draft
something.  Just haven't had much time yet.

NC> Along those lines, it would potentially be useful to have a Python
NC> specific packaging *tutorial* on the wiki an an alternative to the
NC> generic https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
NC> that assumes folks will be doing everything by hand.

That's certainly not a bad idea.  It's a wiki; feel free to run with it.

NC> For Python, it would make more sense to start with a tool like
NC> Slavek's pyp2rpm to generate the initial SPEC file:
NC> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyp2rpm

The problem with doing any of this now is that the python guidelines are
in significant flux and will hopefully emerge in a much cleaner state
with various convenience macros to handle the bulk of the heavy lifting.

 - J<