fedora wikipage Packaging:Python

Martin Bukatovič martin.bukatovic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:36:30 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 05:25 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Along those lines, it would potentially be useful to have a Python
> specific packaging *tutorial* on the wiki an an alternative to the
> generic https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
> that assumes folks will be doing everything by hand.

Yes, having some quick start howto for Python (besides the guideline)
would be really useful. It doesn't have to go deep into details.

> For Python, it would make more sense to start with a tool like
> Slavek's pyp2rpm to generate the initial SPEC file:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyp2rpm

Thank you for pointer to this tool. I missed it when searching
for specfile generators.

So that's something I had in mind when asking: which tool is suggested
to be used to create initial specfile? what needs to be tweaked
and how? And so on - which on the one hand obviously doesn't belong
to the packaging guideline, but guidelines of some other languages
(originally mentioned haskell or ruby) did include some note and
guidance about it so I was a bit confused what does that mean for
python packaging.