Taskbot: TAP vs Subunit

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lmr at redhat.com
Thu Oct 31 16:10:32 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 01:23 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> = TAP =
>>
>> TAP is not unittest-specific, and is human-readable plaintext format.
>>
>> It also has just PASS/FAIL logic, but there is a possibility to add YAML
>> 'metadata' to any result (since TAP v. 13).
>>
>> The real issue with TAP is Python support.
>> There is a TAP-consumer library created as an example for PyParsing
>> <http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/file/detail/TAP.py>, but it does not
>> support the v13 protocol, and is quite useless as such.
>> TAP-producer library for Python <https://github.com/rjbs/pytap> is also using
>> the old version (i.e. no YAML extensions), and seems to be dead (2 years
>> since last update). It is also quite badly written.
>
> Doesn't autotest support TAP results storage? How do they do it?

Autotest does support recording results in TAP format, due to the work
made by a guy from AMD. Breaking the expectations that a TAP enabled
test tool would just output tap on standard output, the autotest client
can optionally produce files with the results in tap format, and those
files can be further processed by other systems.

Let me make some runs here and show you examples.