RFC: Taskotron task description format

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 07:34:22 UTC 2014

On 01/08/2014 09:51 PM, Kamil Paral wrote:
>> Another question is whether this yaml based task description is worth
>> doing or if we should just use a python-based task format similar to
>> what autotest does (inherit from a python class and override methods as
>> needed).
>
> I find this yaml format much more readable and simple. It's definitely more restricted than what you can do in a full programming language. But unless we really need the full programming power, I'd rather stay on KISS side.

And so long as you parse it in safe mode, YAML is much easier to trust
as a configuration format.

>From LCA last week, two OpenStack infrastructure projects potentially
worth mining for inspiration in relation to Taskotron (including
definition formats) would be:

Jenkins Job Builder:
http://ci.openstack.org/jenkins-job-builder/configuration.html
Zuul (project gating system):
http://ci.openstack.org/zuul/zuul.html#layout-yaml

Kamil already linked to my talk on Beaker from the Monday automation
miniconf, but there are some good OpenStack ones from the Friday as part
of the main conf: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2014/Friday/

Cheers,
Nick.

--